Feb 1, 2015

I {heart} watercoloring

My new favorite technique is watercoloring.  I've tried alcohol markers, but the colors are too intense and it takes so much time and effort to color an image.  Plus the investment it takes for these markers - its just too much.
With my last video on watercoloring stamped images using reinkers, it got me to appreciate more that I like the soft look of watercolors.  It helps too that it is easy and cheap to achieve a nice look.  So I just went to Michaels and saw this set for $5!  With a 40% coupon, it came out to be about $3 for this nice pallet of colors.  
I broke out a brush and started using these right away on a scrapbook layout.  It was simple and turned out good.  I think I will need to next get some nicer brushes that are better quality, to get a better outcome.  I know I will be using these a lot more.  Plus I see the inspiration from Amy Tangerine who seems to use watercoloring to write phrases and quotes.  I like the look and I think I have nice cursive writing which may look nice with watercolors.  
With my new adventures in scrapbooking, project life, planners, and cardmaking - I have many different avenues to practice and incorporate watercolors.  Fun!  I'm looking forward to it.  I will be leaving this pallet out on my desk as a reminder to use them but also as inspiration.  Isn't it just pretty to look at?!
Here's the scrapbook layout I made using these for the first time.  I used some blue for the background at the top and bottom, and for the years 2012 and 2013, it was painted on.  This layout was my first attempt of a mixed media look.  I used Distress ink, stamps, and mists for the background.  It was hard for me to not cover up the background I made.  I think this is a layout that used the least amount of paper - ever!  I like the way it turned out.  Definitely different for me.  
Thanks for stopping by.  More projects with watercolor I'm sure will be coming!

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, I have never seen that someone use watercoloring to write phrases and quotes before I watched a video from Amy Tangerine. In my opinion it is really great idea! It is cheap and looks natural.

    ReplyDelete